Tuesday 4 May 2010

When it hurts

Should you exercise when your muscles sore?

My muscles really hurt on Tuesday after I started a first week of a new routine of exercises on Monday. Hardly able to walk I still went to the gym in the morning and did interval cardio workout and some stretching. In my experience it is better to do some exercise than to have a day off (unless I can't walk at all) and this is how I was taught since young age by all trainers when I did sports seriously (I did figure skating and dancing, both close to a professional level). I got used to the soreness and fine to continue exercising when my muscles are in pain but it could be a common obstacle for people who are just starting to train and could make them stop training or slow down their progress.

Soreness which in scientific terms is called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness or DOMS is OK to have if you're a beginner, if you've changed your usual workout or if you're trying new activities. These kind of muscle pain is occurred because of micro tearing of muscle tissue. It can last for 24 up to 48 hours and it is no good to skip workouts for more than 2 days. Important thing to remember that it is normal and a part of adaptation, muscle growth and hence body changing. Just imagine that your old weak muscles are turning into a new stronger and more beautiful ones. Inspirational, isn't it?

I wouldn't advice you to do any vigorous exercises the next day especially if you are a newbie but if you do some walking, easy running or swimming it usually reliefs the pain and allows you to be back to your exercise routine sooner. Yoga and stretching are also good in helping to ease the pain. Different fitness sources report that ice, massage or heat (I go to the sauna for example) should also be beneficial in this case. But if you feel a terrific pain it is good to have a rest and maybe even take some painkillers.
A don't forget that a good warm up before your workout reduces the possibility of the soreness. Women's Health magazine has a good example of a warmup routine to follow: The Best Stretches to Start Your Workout

To sum up, if you feel soreness and able to move DO some exercise but Take it Easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment